Cole and I speaking to luxury in the national parks is almost laughable, but stick with us.
In our year on the road visiting all 59 national parks, we averaged about 4.5 days per park, most of that time out of cell service range. We lived out of our car and small backpacking tent, cooking all of our meals over a small foldable backpacking stove. We showered about once every five days.
But throughout that time, we did experience many moments of objective luxury. (Even a glass of ice water was luxurious to us then, so we’re trying hard to be objective here…) The national parks generally provide a little something for everyone. If you want to rough it, you can rough it. If you want luxury, you can certainly have luxury.
Two parks in particular showed us their fancier sides: Virgin Islands National Park, located on the island of St. John, and Kenai Fjords National Park, on the coast of southern Alaska, both provided ample opportunity to soak in the extravagance.
Listen to today’s episode of the podcast for more about the finer things in these parks, as well as numerous ways to get off the beaten path.
- Today’s episode is sponsored by Naked Pete’s, an all-natural cosmetics and home goods company specializing in bringing the outdoors in. Listen to the episode for a 20% off coupon and check out all their products HERE.
- AirBNB in the National Parks: (Use this link for $40 off your first booking!)
- Our blog post on Virgin Islands
- Our Virgin Islands video
- How we flew to Virgin Islands (and almost everywhere else) for nearly free
- Our blog post on Kenai Fjords
- Our Kenai Fjords video
We’d love to hear from you! Leave a comment or voicemail below about anything national parks related — favorite hikes, your questions for us, or tips you have for our listeners — to be featured on a future podcast.
And you can always get more National Parks videos, posts, guides and more by perusing our website. Start here if you’re new.
(If you choose to leave a voice message, you have 60 seconds. Please include your first name!)
Thanks for listening to Switchbacks!