GIFTS FOR TRAVEL LOVERS
‘Tis the season!
We are taking it easy this week in southern Florida. In the last week, we’ve snorkeled at Dry Tortugas, hiked at Everglades, and kayaked at Biscayne, and now we’re getting ready to kick back to enjoy Thanksgiving from the comfort of a hotel and store-bought pumpkin pie. But don’t feel too sorry for us… we’ll be in Virgin Islands this time next week 🙂
As we logistically prepare for the holidays, we’ve been asked by families what we want for Christmas. It’s hard to think of things to ask for, since we live out of our bursting-at-the-seams car. But it’s easy to think back to the things we’re grateful to have.
We thought it would be helpful to put together a fun gift guide comprised of things we love and things we think would make great gifts for our fellow travel lovers.
- Garmin Nuvi Navigation System – Hands down, our favorite travel toy. We cannot fathom how much more cell data we’d use and arguments we’d have if it weren’t for this guy.
- Passport holder – Perfect for the international traveler.
- Scratch-off World Map – I’m itching to mark off where we’ve been so far.
- Qalo Wedding Band – We have different colors of these silicon rings and we love that we don’t worry about our real bands. Great for athletes, too!
- National Parks America the Beautiful Annual Pass – I couldn’t pass up this opportunity. 🙂 But passes to state parks, local parks, or nature centers also make motivating gifts.
- Happy People Hike t-shirt – A costume to fit the hobby!
- Grid-It Organizer – This holds all of our cords in place, at least temporarily.
- Waterproof Phone Case – Ours are similar, and have held up well hiking, kayaking, climbing sand dunes, and being dropped on numerous rocks.
- Sturdy Travel Purse – I have this same purse (Baggallini) in green, and it is one of my best pre-trip purchases. It has a build-in wallet and the material is water-resistant. Even held up to Niagara Falls!
- Battery Pack – Another lifesaver, especially for multi-day backpacking trips and finding subway information at the end of a long touring day.
Of course, these are just the things. The more we travel, the more we realize that we don’t really want more stuff. We want to keep having experiences! This year, that’s exactly what we’re asking for.
Here are a few more ideas that you can use to promote a focus on experiences:
- Tickets: to a concert, festival, sporting event, park
- Gift certificates: for a massage, cooking class, nice restaurant
- Subscription: XM radio, Netflix, online yoga, audio book library
This week, we will be putting a special emphasis on experiences. We are joining one of our favorite companies, REI, in their #OptOutside campaign and will spend Black Friday exploring Big Cypress National Wildlife Preserve. We are excited that so many people are joining in on this celebration of outdoors. (Our home Missouri State Parks are even offering FREE camping on Friday!)
From our little traveling family to yours, we hope you have an amazing holiday weekend and put the focus on people in your life who matter most.